Saturday, April 25, 2015

Upgrade...!!

Sometimes, I feel our life is a book already written with great details and we are just enacting those written words to action like an actor. Such a scripted action happened with me on a recent trip abroad. It’s called upgrade, on an international flight from economy class to business class.  

While passing through the aisles of business class I often used to envy the level of comfort people are subject to by paying few quids extra.  A lady hangs around them taking glasses of juice and Champagne, their luggage is managed, their coats are hanged in special cub boards and these people get the level of attention as if they are kings/queens of ancient ages. Once the flight is fully boarded the curtains are closed to the economy class onlookers as if a Bollywood performance is about to begin anytime.

Today, for a change I was on the other side of that curtain, courtesy some people who preferred the comfort of their home than to spend thousands on travelling. As I write this blog, I am still thinking why she (lady at the boarding gate) chose me to be treated as Cleopatra for that day. Was it my Fabindia kurata charm, which encouraged her to follow “Be Indian, Upgrade an Indian” policy or was it a Yash Chopra dream come true.   

What ever be the reason, but it truly was a different experience for me, taking the pride of travelling business class in an International flight. As I settled in the Business class seat, initial challenge was to find the bits and pieces of items to be used. I was trying to figure out, where was the remote, where was the head phone. I noticed two tiny bottles of water arranged nicely below the arm.

While I was figuring it out these things, came the icing on cake – “the business class travel kit”. Have you every observed how kids react when you give a new toy to them. They try to explore everything about it. I ended up doing the same funny acts of checking the toothpaste, toothbrush, an eye cover and hey a special pair of socks. I unfortunately, was in the middle seat and both gentlemen next to me were looking at me from side eyes with a grin, but I was too excited to worry about that then.  

As we took off the next attempt was to understand how this chair moves. Aah interesting, it can move in any direction to provide you the comfort of your bed at home. There were buttons for every action to slide it forward, slide backward, slide below you waist and comfort your bum. Am sure this would have happened with you many times in economy class that you have your food on the tray table and the person in front comforts his chair and the tray hits your stomach. Ouch!!..but tada this doesn't happen in business class as the seat doesn't slide back to hit the person behind you. 

The odyssey of excitement doesn't end here. As they start to serve food, a white shining cloth is first placed on your tray table as in a 5 star restaurant and its decorated with a nice goblet of Champagne (my apple juice looked just the same). Then comes an array of food options served in a dish along with nicely wrapped shining cutlery. As these are cleanly served with a white gloves. As a courtesy they ask you how is the food and thankfully don’t expect a tip in return.

As I reflect back on that day, I just feel that it could be just another business class trip for people who pay for it. But for me, it came as a beautiful surprise and I would cherish those funny acts of mine for long.

Such incidents & wonderful surprises always make me look forward to life and make this wonder writer wonder. What might happen next...!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Travelling from Seattle WA to New Delghi India by Emirates, my wife and I was up-graded from Dubai to New Delhi but could not upgrade my son, Dushyant who was also travelling with us. It was an exciting and wonderful experience.